Reworking Vintage Jackets







I sell denim jackets on Depop! I've been doing it for about a year now as a fun side project and hopefully a way to make a bit of money. I hand-paint and rework vintage jackets to create unique pieces and put them up for sale (UK only). It's really been an interesting way for me to work with new mediums and on something other than paper, as an art  student I've really enjoyed being able to create my own designs that , fingers crossed, people would be interested in wearing! I currently have two up for sale, one that's been sold and one on the way! 

The first jacket in the photos is my most recent project, it is a really fun statement piece with pompom details on the sleeve, hand painted flowers, pastel panel details and 'Disco's Not Dead!' written on the back. This jacket is one of my favourites because of how youthful and colourful it is- I can't say I've seen one similar in high-street or independent shops. 

The second jacket in the line up has already been sold. This was the first one I ever made and I'm still really proud of it. The front has an abstract version of 'The Creation of Adam' and the back had 'Doing Strange Things in the Name of Art' painted onto it. It is quite a minimal design compared to the last one but really looked intriguing and was honestly a massive statement piece in person. I was definitely sad to see it go and found it hard not to keep it myself but I'm glad someone else loves it as much as I do now!

The last jacket has a bit more of a political/feminist theme with 'Fight Like a Girl' and 'Viva la Femme' written on it giving a more serious message whilst looking really amazing on. It's a really cool jacket that would flatter most outfits due the more minimal colour scheme. As always it's one of a kind and stands out in a crowd! I'm not normally for feminist slogans on clothing when they're from big high-street businesses which are massively unethical with stories of bad working conditions and no/little workers rights in the factories making the clothes. I just think it's quite hypocritical to profit off a movement that is working towards equality when the business isn't working for change in their factories. However as I'm painting it myself it's different and the profits aren't going to corrupt businesses. 

I sell all my jackets for £50 including postage and packaging. Considering they're one of a kind and hand painted it's a total bargain compared to what you'd see in the shops and I personally put a lot of effort into making them stylish and unique. I'm also looking at doing commissioned jackets for £50 +, if you have any requests message me on my Depop- depending on if you're idea is possible to create or not I'll message you back with a price! My shop is linked above and on my Instagram, check it out if you're interested!



Follow my social media:


Alice

alice rhodes

2 comments:

  1. These are so unique and I love all of them so much, you are so talented! I'm especially loving your second design with the two hands painted on either side of the zipper. This is so original and I love it!
    -Olivia Xxx

    http://oliviaxalesha.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really lovely to get feedback on my artwork, the second design is one of my favourites too!

      Delete